Monday, August 12, 2013

Back to School

Wow, this 10 weeks went way to fast!! I can't believe that tomorrow is the first day of school. It seems like we just got out. I am very thankful for the summer that we had. We spent time together during the day and then when daddy came home we spent time with him, too. I am also thankful that I didn't have to babysit that much this year, which means I could sleep until 9:30 and have peace and quiet during the day.

A few weeks ago I decided that I wasn't going to babysit the girls I was babysitting for. I usually only had them 1 or 2 days a week but they were very difficult to keep happy. They were well behaved but my daughter and I were getting frustrated trying to keep them entertained (ages 10 and 5).  Because of this, our last 2 weeks of summer were extra relaxing.

My kid's had different mini-vacations this summer, although we didn't go anywhere as a family. Eve went to Columbus, Ohio with my mom in June to visit relatives. Xander and Eve both went to Michigan to visit the great-grandparents on one of the lakes. Finally, Eve went to Kalahari in Ohio last week with her cousin. She did ziplining and LOVED IT!! I am so blessed to have people that take my kids with them. 

Well, we have tons of paper, pens, pencils, other school supplies, backpacks, lunchboxes, and clothes purchased and ready for our first school day tomorrow. I'm sure the kids and I will get home from school tomorrow and nap for a couple hours because first days are exhausting!!

My kids are having some firsts and lasts this years. This is Xander's last year at the middle school. I can't believe I have an 8th grader and next year he will start high school. This is Eve's last year of elementary school, next year she will move on to the middle school. This is my last year to have one of my babies in my school with me. I started when Eve was in Kindergarten, this year she starts 5th grade. I told her that we have to spend every minute together (haha) because next year I am going to be lonely at my school without her!

I emailed that special education department at the end of last school year to get Eve tested. I think she has either dyslexia or a writing disability. The meeting didn't go well. Basically because she is always on the honor roll, does well on standardized testing (which doesn't require much writing), and she uses strategies to help herself, they won't test her. I have had friends suggest a couple of places to get her tested on my own but the cost of those places are $1,000-$1,500!! Who has that kind of money? Any suggestions as to what I can do for her?

I know this was a lot of updating but it has been awhile since an update!!

Lastly, here is a song I think about every year when school starts:


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment