Sunday, September 29, 2013

Weekend part 1, the bad and the ugly

Because I believe in ending on a high note, I will start off with the downside to my weekend.

Friday morning started off like any other day, get up and get ready for work. Eve had spent the night with my mom, so my mom brought her over about 7am. As she was getting ready for school she said that her head itched, OH NO!! 

A little back story: She has been complaining since the first day of school about a boy that sits next to her and itches his head constantly. She wanted me to wash her head in lice shampoo but I knew that it wouldn't prevent it. It ended with her being mad at me and telling me every couple of days that the boy itches his head all the time.

Back to currently: I check Eve's head and found 3 bugs. I didn't know what to do. We have been very fortunate in that we hadn't had lice at our house before so I didn't know what steps to take. I text my friend and she told me what to do. I let Eve stay home from school at my moms and had my mom put cooking oil and a baggie on her head. When I got home I shampooed her in the lice shampoo and then started picking with the nit comb. I hunched over her head with that comb for an HOUR AND 25 MINUTES!! She has a lot of hair and it is pretty long, lucky for me she has thin hair so that helped. We only found 5 more bugs and we hoped we got all of the eggs.

On Saturday morning we shampooed again and used the comb. We didn't find any bugs and we used a super bright light to look for eggs. We think we got everything. While doing all of this I was washing everything she came in contact with in hot water, soaking brushes and combs in 130 degree water, and spraying furniture, car seats, and backpacks with the spray.

That crap was exhausting!! Please keep your fingers crossed that there are no babies that hatch!! I had nightmares on Friday night that we all got lice, there were bugs everywhere. It was way worse in my head because I knew, in my dream, that if I got lice it would be THE absolute nightmare. I have a lot of super thick hair that's past my shoulder blades. How many hours would it take to nit comb my hair? I hope I never find out!!

Since I wouldn't let Eve have friends over and she couldn't go to friends houses, we stayed home on Saturday evening. She wanted to play with sidewalk chalk, so she and I went outside. Not one to miss out on the fun, Xander joined us. They got bored with the sidewalk chalk and decided to play with a big stick that Eve says is her walking stick. They ended up breaking it into smaller pieces (because Eve says she could use them as stakes to kill vampires). Xander thought it would be fun to try to rub two of them together, put some grass on it like on Survivor, and start a fire. Since I knew that nothing could go wrong, I left them to their own devices and went inside.

Tardis 
Happy Fall
Star

A few minutes later Xander came running in and went to the bathroom. I assumed he had to pee. Eve came in and said "did you see the cut on Xander's finger?" Evidently he thought it would be a good to cut at wood with his pocketknife. 

Now, before you judge me know that he is 13 years old and we have went over knife safety several times, he is never allowed to carry his knife on him. Kids are going to act crazy and do crazy things. If they didn't we wouldn't have the fabulous show that is Ridculousness!!

Anyway, I went to the bathroom and he had a nice cut on top of his right index finger. It was about 1/2 inch long and pretty deep. His dad thought we could get the glue stuff at CVS and close it that way, while I was saying "stitches." We went with his idea first. After several tries, the cut wouldn't close. I ended up taking him to the local ER. First they had to clean the glue stuff off and then said that he needed 2 stitches.

He was freaking out!! He didn't like the idea of stitches. We had talked on the way to the hospital about stitches and that they would give him a numbing shot first and that is what hurt. After the skin was numb, he wouldn't feel the stitches.

In comes the nurse and PA with the shot. Of course, it was super painful. Then she started the stitches. The first one hurt really bad. By the time she got to the second one, it didn't hurt anymore. We think she started the stitches too soon after giving the numbing shot.

Now he is all bandaged up and it looks like he is saying "number 1."  We have been calling him Smitty Werberjagermanjensen after this episode of Spongebob:


Luckily, his stitches come out on October 8th and we leave for vacation on October 22nd!!

What a long stressful weekend, tune in tomorrow for the good side of the weekend!!

22 Days until Disney!!

Now I will post a pic of Xanders finger AFTER the stitches, if this is going to gross you out please stop reading now. There is nothing posted after this pic.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

He was number 1!!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment